Update on Derelict Vessel Bill Requirements:
Thank you for your patience as we sorted out the logistics of this new law requiring vessels to register with the DMV.
In short, SEAFA’s original email was accurate and the new law applies as follows:
- USCG Documented Vessels are required to register with the DMV; however, you do not need to receive a title.
- Undocumented vessels must register and receive a title at the DMV.
After speaking with Major Chastain of the Alaska Wildlife Troopers he said their main objective this year will be to educate first and enforce second.
Communication was held with the Director of Department of Motor Vehicles to educate staff regarding this new law and the requirements. We understand there has been confusion in the issuing of registrations and we hope this has been resolved.
I spoke with Senator Micciche and informed him of the issues we are having with this bill. He is hopeful that legislation can be introduced next year to change the language to include exemption for vessels registered through CFEC.
Thanks again for your patience and understanding. Please let me know if you have any difficulties or questions.
United Fishermen of Alaska
- Don’t forget to renew your USCG Documentation – this registration does not take the place of your documentation from the USCG – it is in addition to.
- DO NOT TITLE your boat with the State of Alaska – only file for registration.
- Only place on your boat the square registration decal – do not place any additional AK numbers.
- You will need to take a copy of your Document into the State DMV office when registering.