To promote and protect the common interest of Alaska’s commercial fishing industry, as a vital component of Alaska’s social and economic well-being.
United Fishermen of Alaska (UFA) is the statewide commercial fishing trade association, representing 33 Alaska commercial fishing organizations participating in fisheries throughout the state and its offshore federal waters.
Mark Vinsel, Exec. Administrator
Jerry McCune, President email@example.com
UFA policy for healthy and sustainable management of fisheries
UFA strongly supports:
- State management of salmon fisheries.
- Escapement goal management (Biological Escapement Goals).
- Local management that is adaptive and abundance based.
- Use of Commissioner’s EO authority on an active basis for the local management of a fishery.
- Mixed stock management.
Core Functions of UFA – in order of priority
- Legislative presence
- Provide a forum for communication within the fishing industry
- Maintain a statewide trade organization with staffed office
- Public relations and educational programs targeting:
b. seafood industry and other industries
c. general public