To promote and protect the common interest of Alaska’s commercial fishing industry, as a vital component of Alaska’s social and economic well-being.
- Promote positive relations between industry sectors.
- Support all commercial gear types and remain neutral on allocative issues between commercial gear groups.
- Protect industry from attacks through initiatives, legislation, etc.
- Promote industry safety.
- Promote healthy fishery resources by supporting research and habitat protection.
- Support adequate funding for fishery research, management and enforcement.
- Oppose fish farming.
- Support development of new fisheries.
- Educate industry, government and the public.
- Support efforts to increase consumption of Alaska seafood.
- Promote quality standards – harvester to consumer.
- Protect consumer access to seafood by maintaining a stable supply of product to processors.
UFA policy for healthy and sustainable management of fisheries
UFA strongly supports:
- State management of salmon fisheries.
- Escapement goal management (Biological Escapement Goals).
- Local management that is adaptive and abundance based.
- Use of Commissioner’s EO authority on an active basis for the local management of a fishery.
- Mixed stock management.
Core Functions of UFA – in order of priority
- Legislative presence
- Provide a forum for communication within the fishing industry
- Maintain a statewide trade organization with staffed office
- Public relations and educational programs targeting:
- seafood industry and other industries
- general public
Staff & Contact Information
Frances Leach, Executive Director – email@example.com
Mark Vinsel, Executive Administrator – firstname.lastname@example.org
United Fishermen of Alaska
PO Box 20229, Juneau AK 99802
In the Alaska Fishermen’s Building at 410 Calhoun, Juneau AK.